After a harsh, cold winter, the clear, sunny skies and rising temperatures of spring are much appreciated. However, spring can be a potentially dangerous time of year for homeowners. It’s the time of year when flooding is most likely to damage a home.
Here are some tips to prepare and protect your home and family from flooding.
- Keep an emergency kit on hand, stock up on extra food and water.
- Watch forecasts.
- Shovel snow away from your homes foundation and windows.
- Clear gutters of debris to improve water flow.
- Store important objects or family heirlooms off the floor and in plastic/waterproof containers.
- Clear basements of food, chemical products, sharp objects, and furniture to prevent contamination.
- Unplug appliances in areas that could be flooded.
- Ensure drain ditches around homes are clear of debris.
- Install sump pump.
The sudden melting of snow, the thawing of ice underground, and the expectation of heavy rain in early spring most always combine for a realistic possibility of an emergency. Be sure to prepare your home to prevent flooding from spring thaw.